Thursday, October 4, 2012

Grow Where You Are Planted

I saw the title of this post, "Grow where you are planted", inside a handmade card at a cafe downtown. When I read those words for the first time I felt a jolt go through me. It's the simplest phrase but it packs a powerful meaning.

Sometimes during the course of our hectic lives we forget about those things that made us giddy when we were younger. We get caught up in "what I'm supposed to do" land that we forget about what makes us, us. Or if you are like me, you look at others who are "successful" and want to be just like them but forget about all the steps they had to go through to get where they are now.

For a while I have felt like a failure because I couldn't get to where "they" are. My goals have been so lofty and 5 years out that every day I woke up I still felt miles away from my dream. I guess I finally realize what "Take it one day at a time" means.

Trees don't sprout immediately from seed to full grown Spruce. Roots must branch out and feel the earth around them, learning and gaining nutrients as they go. This slow progression builds the tree so strong that even though trees might get cut down the roots remain.

This concept is what separates phonies from the authentic.

Whatever is keeping you from your dreams whether it's a hectic life or someone yelling in your ear to, "Do This, Be This!" Remember that even though your roots may be weak right now they are still there and can point you in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment