Sunday, January 1, 2012

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

I've been struggling with decisions lately. What makes a decision a good decision? What makes a decision a bad decision? This struggle has clouded my judgement of my own decisions. It's gotten to the point that I don't trust my decision making skills anymore.

Part of the reason why I'm having this inner struggle is because I, like you, get judged by my decisions. And those closest to me sometimes give the harshest critiques.

To help myself with this good vs bad decisions debate I was going to write down all the "good" decisions I've had. My brain, like most brains, tends to get hung up on all the bad decisions I've made and forget the good ones so I wanted to try to prove to myself that I do, in fact, make some good decisions.

One of the "good decisions" I was about to write down was "deciding to take the temp job at Artisan Scientific". At first I thought this was a "good" decision because I enjoy working there, they have a huge snack room, and the owners are great people to work for. As far as temp jobs go I'm pretty sure I hit the jackpot.

"Wait a minute!" My brain told me. "If you didn't take this temp job you would have had more time to work on your other venture and possibly might be making a lot more money right now." This makes it sound like it was a bad decision.

And then I had an epiphany... Decisions aren't really good or bad until we react to making them. Meaning, we put the modifiers of "good" and "bad" on the decisions we make. But decisions are just decisions. They are based on the information we had at the time we made them.

To my knowledge, no human can really predict the future, so when we are faced with a decision our only choice is to base it on the information, resources and skills we have at the present moment. In other words, we can't make a decision today based on information we might have tomorrow.

So, I guess, in effect, every decision we make is a "good" decision if for no other reason than we actually made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment