Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Prophecies, Distractions & Me

Since I've been thinking, or probably more to the point, brooding over Sane & Satisfied my mind keeps coming back to distractions. I started to read the book, The Celestine Prophecy, and then watched the movie instead. On a side note, that was the first time I ever said that the movie was better than the book. I did enjoy it and not for it's new-age-we-can-transcend-into-better-humans-if-we-just-commune-with-nature-and-learn-to-be-less-angry-selfish-and-greedy sermon. I enjoyed it because it told a story of how human kind has veered off track.

The characters in The Celestine Prophecy (which is a work of fiction, although the author and many of the book's followers will have you believe that it's real) explain that when we began to question the infallibility of God we began to look around our world and define it for ourselves. So we sent out scientists and artists and biologists and such to document this world and then come back and share their findings. Unfortunately while we waited for them to come back we got distracted with every day life and forgot why we had sent them on the quest in the first place.

This part of the story really struck something in me. I find myself thinking about this concept regularly. The more I examine my life I realize that distractions are a big barrier to becoming Sane & Satisfied. Distractions are not only frustrating, they are draining and lead us so far off track that we sometimes can't find our way back.

I believe that most of America is distracted right now. I won't go into specifics in this post (there's more time for that later) but we have gotten to the point now where it seems that smoke and mirrors, misdirection and agendas are reality. That's how distracted we are; we can't tell distractions from reality. Reminds me of the movie, Inception.

As I was coming up to bed tonight I was thinking of all the things I wanted to do today that never got done. And I asked myself, Why is it so hard to be the person I want to be and who I feel I'm meant to be? The answer that came to me immediately was that I'm dealing with so many distractions right now. It's a wonder I get one thing accomplished in a day.

Distractions wear us out and ruin our flow and hide the truth. When you are busy looking that way something is happening over here. It's a matter of physics: when your energy is focused on something it cannot be focused on something else. But distraction makes it even worse by covering the truth.

I always know how to begin posts but for some reason it's a lot harder for me to finish them. How do I finish a post about distractions when I'm yawning to go to bed? I think that distractions are a given in life and when we don't know ourselves or trust ourselves or have a clear picture of what we want our life to be distractions have a greater effect.

What distractions do you have in your life right now? How can you decrease those distractions? And more importantly who are you right now? I know I mentioned earlier that I had asked myself why it is so hard to be who you want to be. But after writing this post I don't think that's the right question. I am who I am right now. I need to realize what's going on in my life right now in order to get rid of some of those distractions and uncover me.

Ahhhhh, the results of self-help making me feel like somehow I'm not me until I go through their step by step program. Well, I have a question: If I'm not me right now then who am it?

No comments:

Post a Comment