Sunday, October 28, 2012

Halloween Skills To Keep You Safe From Monsters

So, I am kind of obsessed with zombies. I don't know what it is about them but I LOVE THEM!

Yeah, they are kind of gross and, you know, dead but there's just something about them and about thinking of how I would survive a Zombie Apocalypse that intrigues me. I don't feel this way about Frankenstien or Vampires or Warewolves. It's just Zombies.

Whether you are fighting against Zombies or sewing costumes for your little monsters (a great movie, by the way) or baking fresh Pumpkin Bread you definitely need some mad skills at your disposal for the Holloween season. And since Sane & Satisfied is all about learning and honing skills I thought I would round up some skills that will help you survive this Halloween season.

Survival Skills

In an apocalyptic situation you will need shelter, warmth and food before anything else. So building skills, fire making skills and hunting and gathering skills are most essential.


I found this nifty tutorial on How to make a Debris Hut over at wilderness-survival-skills.com.

Here's another shelter. It looks more complicated and you would need a bunch of leaves but it looks pretty cozy. How to build a leaf hut


Over at the appropriately-named artofmanliness.com they show you How to Start a Fire Without Matches.

And here is a Field Guide For Identifying wild berries.

And if the Zombie Apocalypse does not, in fact, happen tomorrow you should probably still know how to make a killer Pumpkin Pie and build the perfect Bonfire.


Character Skill

A Zombie Apocalypse certainly brings out who we truly are. Ever wonder what you are really, truly like? Just take a venture into a zombie infested alley and you will find out in a hurry.

Courage - Obviously the first character skill you will need is courage. Mark Twain said, "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear." I've also heard something about courage meaning that you are afraid of something but still willing to face that fear. However you define courage you will need it by the truck-load in life and during this scary season.

Honesty - You wouldn't think that honesty plays a big role in a situation where you are watching your friend get chewed on by a zombie but...if you and your friend had been really honest with each other than he would have known that you are not a very good "watch my back" kind of person...just sayin. I used to think that the phrase, "Honesty is the best policy" was kind of lame. But being honest not only keeps stress at bay but it also allows you to view situations with a clear head.

Creative Skills

Every Leaf Hut needs a creative, homey touch. So a trip over to MarthaStewart.com is in order. Martha has got everything from Carving Pumpkins to Halloween Centerpiece Ideas. And here's some plans for making Halloween Costumes.


I love Halloween and I love Autumn and I love learning new skills and being self-sufficient and as you now know I LOVE zombies. While writing this post I think I finally realized why I love zombies so much: They are the complete opposite of humans. Vampires and warewolves still have some human traits and can actually turn back into humans. But aside from maybe Frankenstein zombies are the antithesis of humanity. They have no thoughts or creativity and their only ambition is to eat brains. They essentially feed off the thoughts and creativity of others.

I love zombies because I love the rush that I get from seeing them destroyed. I love seeing a living, breathing human (actor) spearing, spiking, knifing or crowbarring a deadpan, uncreative zombie in the side of the head.

And on that note I'm going to watch the next episode of The Walking Dead!

No comments:

Post a Comment