Monday, August 20, 2012

Easy Peasy Monday: Yummy Veggies

Its Easy Peasy Monday! I bring you super easy things that you can do in a few minutes to make your life more healthy, yummy, simple and enjoyable.

Today is all about Yummy Veggies. Last week I did a detox program I found on Pinterest. The first three days are nothing but fruits and veggies. I love fruit but I had to get creative about how to make the veggies more palatable. And I thought I would share three tricks to eat your veggies without sacrificing flavor.



Maple Acorn Squash

My husband found this recipe when he was searching for Paleo recipes. All you do is preheat your oven to 400 degrees and cut an acorn squash in half. Spoon out the seeds and fill each half with about 1Tbsp butter and maple syrup. This is not a science so add more or less to your preference. Then bake for about 1hr. You can also spoon the melted butter on the edge about half way through to avoid the squash getting too dry. I'm lazy so I don't do this step and it's fine. But the edges might get a little crispy (I like that though). After the squash is nice and tender pull the meaty part away from the skin with a fork. Be careful this is a heavenly treat. I've got about 4 acorn squash on reserve for the rest of the week :)

Raw Veggies with salt, pepper and garlic

This is super easy. Cut up some raw veggies and put in a Tupperware container. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic to taste and drizzle a little olive oil. Go easy on the oil. Put the lid on and shake, shake, shake. If you need more oil or seasoning add more and shake again. I made this for the all veggie day of my detox program and ate them like chips. I couldn't stop.

Boiled Kale

In another post I talked about how much I LOVE KALE. And I do really. Love. Kale. It's so yummy and versatile and easy to make. Just throw in a pot of water and boil for about 20 minutes depending on how soft you want them. When I buy it from the store I have to cut off the stems before hand because they are so tough. We grow kale in our garden and for some reason the stems aren't that tough so I just leave them on but it's up to you. After they are nice and tender just pour them in a strainer to remove excess water and sprinkle with any seasoning you like and toss.

Each of these Easy Peasy recipes can be altered or added to make them yummy for you. Do you love dill? Throw some on the raw veggies. Try steaming the kale instead of boiling. Or cooking the veggies instead of eating them raw. Eating healthy doesn't have to be a chore and with some creativity it can be really yummy!

Stay tuned next Monday for another Easy Peasy Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment